Contract Type: Fixed Term
Salary: £28,331.00 – £30,942.00
Closing Date: 27 January 2020
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual with a keen interest in electrical engineering to join the ITS team within the School of Engineering.
You will work with our dedicated research group on an existing project in the area of Cooperative Intelligent Transport Systems (C-ITS). You will be primarily involved in supporting the experimental design of a C-ITS field operational trial, including data collection and analyses, and evaluation.
You will be working closely with an interdisciplinary team of researchers, who will be ultimately responsible for the project development, but will also have contact with other project partners from across Europe. You should be able to communicate and collaborate with local and international stakeholders. At the request of the research group lead, be willing to travel and present research findings.
This is a great opportunity for a recent graduate or early career researcher to develop their research profile.
You will be provided with academic and pastoral support within the School/Institute (including counselling on realistic career goals and opportunities) and training will be available which is designed to develop their competences and to prepare them to take on more responsibilities associated with a higher grade.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Please be advised that due to the minimum salary thresholds imposed by the UKVI, this post may not qualify for University sponsorship under Tier 2 of the points based system.
This is a fixed term post available for the duration of 9 months.
For informal enquires Simon Edwards, Senior Research Associate firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the School of Engineering, please click here.
For more information about the Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering, please click here.
- To work with the existing research team in the field of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) to:
- Undertake research, including desk-studies, experimental design, data collection, analysis and evaluation
- Design future system implementations, including specification and operation of field operational trials and pilot studies
- Perform data collection, analysis and evaluation (quantitative and qualitative)
- Participate in project-related responsibilities, including physical meetings, working groups, tele-conferences and contribution to written reports and deliverables
- Contribute to research funding bids, with particular focus on UK funding sources
- Deliver academic output, in particular peer reviewed publications
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- An academic background in either Civil/ Electrical Engineering, ICT, Geoscience, Environmental engineering, Computing Science, and /or Transportation
- Good quality data analysis and statistical expertise
- Experience of handling and analysing data of various sizes and formats using SPSS, R, MATLAB or Python
- Good quality analytical skills
- Previous research experience in an academic environment, including the publication of peer-reviewed papers (desirable)
- An understanding of systems architecture and ability to support practical technology implementation (desirable)
- Knowledge of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) (desirable)
- A general interest in contemporary transport, including Electro-Mobility, Urban Freight, Shared Moblity, Mobility as a Service (MaaS) and Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CCAV) (desirable)
Attributes and Behaviour
- Excellent levels of numeracy and literacy
- Excellent ICT skills
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to network (desirable)
- Good presentational skills
- Able to work in a team but also independently
- Ability to travel, especially within the UK
- Keen to develop a career in academic research (desirable)
- Willing to publish research in quality peer reviewed journals
- Willing to be involved in research funding bids
- PhD awarded (or nearing completion) in Civil/ Electrical Engineering, ICT, Geoscience, Environmental engineering, Computing Science, and /or Transportation
- An underpinning degree (BSc, MSc) in a closely related discipline
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
Requisition ID: 1327
For more information and how to apply please follow the link below:
|Job Category||data analysis, Electrical Engineering, engineering, project management, quality assurance, Research, Research and Analysis, Research Engineer, scientific interests, Support, Systems Integration, Technical, technology|