“Ocado Technology, powering the future of retail through sustained disruptive technology innovation…”
Ocado Technology is putting the world’s retailers online using the cloud, robotics, AI, and IoT. We develop the innovative software and systems that power Ocado.com, the world’s largest online-only grocery retailer as well as the global ‘Ocado Smart Platform’. With everything from websites to fully autonomous warehouse that we design in-house, our employees need to be specialists in a wide range of technologies to help drive our business.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
What would I be doing?
As a software engineer within the Control Systems teams, you will be actively developing our user-facing applications following agile methodologies. You will be responsible for delivering projects individually and with others in your team. You will be involved in discussions with the Product Manager, providing insight and direction about upcoming and in-progress work. To best meet the needs of our users, engagement with our end users will be expected, as well as collaboration with UX designers and other experts, and the use of prototyping and experimentation.
In developing a critical application, we need to be able to provide production support and to be strongly focused on driving up the quality of the code and the reliability of the application during both deployment and use. You will take an active role in shaping the workflow and processes of your cross-functional team. You will understand the value of continuous integration, continuous delivery and strive for a high level of automation. You will participate in technical discussions and will be expected to influence the direction of the team. Involvement in working groups and/or special interest groups is encouraged, with the aim of bringing knowledge back into your local team. You will be a practitioner of clean code, TDD, and agile methodologies. You will set an example for more junior members, including mentoring and participation in peer reviews.
What we are looking for
The essential experience and skill-sets candidates must have.
- OO programming experience.
- Solid knowledge of Java, preferably Java 11.
- A firm grasp of computer science fundamentals and the ability to pick up new ideas and knowledge, putting it into practice quickly.
- Understanding of software architecture and design patterns.
- Willingness to work across the entire software stack, from provisioning of infrastructure through to software design, development, and support
- Experience in the full Software Development life-cycle, having delivered projects from conception to deployment in production.
- Experience in providing production support and a passion in developing code which does not require support.
- Experience in development tooling and workflows, including automated test/deploy pipelines using tools such as GitLab, docker/Kubernetes deployments, code analysis tools.
- Experience with testing technologies and methodologies (for example, unit testing).
- Experience developing REST based web applications
- Knowledge of programming paradigms beside OO.
- Experience and interest in real-time control systems or low-latency systems.
- Experience and interest in algorithms and optimisation.
What we offer you
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. Within our flexible environment we can offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and share schemes. Benefits include pension scheme, train season ticket loan (interest-free), free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and of course, healthy Ocado retail staff discounts.
We also have regular divisional socials, sports clubs not to mention the Ocado Technology Academy for a packed schedule of courses, conferences and events such as discussion sessions, conference briefs and external guest speakers. If you think you have what it takes to make a difference, please submit your application below.
Due to the energising nature of Ocado’s business, vacancy close dates, when stated, are indicative and may be subject to change so please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Please note: If you have applied and been rejected for this role in the last 6 months, or applied and been rejected for a role with a similar skill set, we will not re-evaluate you for this position. After 6 months, we will treat your application as a new one.
Be bold, be unique, be brilliant, be you. We are looking for individuality and we value diversity above gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, age, disability or union participation. We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to treating all applicants and employees fairly and equally.
To find out more and apply please follow the link below:
|Job Category||Applied Science, business support, Computer Vision Engineer, Design, development, Innovation, product, project management, quality assurance, Robotics, simulation, Software|